Sunday, April 13, 2008

Final Model

I finally finish my model!! Thanks to Brad and the others who gave me advice, I did quite a few corrections, especially about the textures and the upper stairs, so I want to spend some time explaining the whole concept in the post. It's quite long, so be patient and keep reading:)

This is the overall view of the model. The upper studio is a noun for Ricky Swallows, 'CYCLE', and the lower studio is a adjective for Patricia Piccinini, ‘WEIRD'.






The section view of the whole model. The model is quite big and my screen won't fit, so I captured the close up ones and put them on below.








The close up view of the upper studio.
I first draw the sketches for this studio with a lot of curves, but I think it is not interesting enough and is too literal, so I try finding ways that can express cycle with straight lines. Then I came up with this idea-using a loop using strong lines, but still convey this idea!
The studio is mainly made of concrete, with some glazing. The colours are quite dark so that when sun shines in, it will have a better contrast.

This model is trying to express the cycle of life (I use this instead of life cycle is because the latter sound like the cycle of an object, not human).
The whole concept is that there is a area for different stages of life. I first start with the toddler stage, where the ground is flat and quite spacious. This is to express how the parents cares about their children so they most probably grow up in a safe space.


Then the spaces goes to an opening that leads to the second floor. This is to show the age of teenagers where the sharp and straight opening expresses the rapid growth of adolescence. There's a reason why I didn't put my stairs here is because the aging process is irreversible so if I put the stairs there, it makes that you can go back to previous stages. This is the same for another end on the other side.


After the
adolescence stage is the adult stage. The space is significantly smaller than the lower floor, and the walls are also narrower. This design is to represent the problems and stress that adults face in the society.







The view of the outside. There's a hole made when I was doing this design, so I made use of it so people can come out and take a rest.







The last part of the studio is the mid-age and the elders. The path is extremely irregular, so that it shows how the old feels when their body starts to malfunction and cannot walk properly.
(If you paid your attention enough, I put a model of a person in different ages in each part to clearly show the different stages.)




The end of this part is another opening where it leads back to the beginning. The drop in the opening represents the death of a person.









I made a tunnel her that lets Ricky put his works there. It could be accessed from the place where you can go out in the adult stage. It is made of glass so people can examine the work from different angles.





Time for the stairs. The stairs is to represent cycle, so I made my stairs like a loop, where they meets from two ends. This time I used a more feminine curve to make a contrast with the strong studio.






The stairs are mainly made out of steel, and I also want to show a cycle on the steps, so I made the inner part in glass, so people can see the cycle again.







I first want to make the stairs in a circle, but it's too big to put in the studio. Therefore I twisted the the arc a bit and it looks a lot better! I made it looks like a thread of DNA, where it also could represent human.






Then the stairs leads to the middle floor. The main concept of this space is transition, where it could be seen from linking a part of each studio together.







At last, the lower studio. I said this a lot of time, but I still have to explain it again. I first drew the sketch of this studio in a lot of spheres to represent the feminine feature of Piccinini's works, but then I modified it to have a better relationship with the upper sections. This actually enhances the representation of the studio as the work I chose for Piccinini is a sculpture of a family of transhumans, where now the half spheres adds the 'weird' feeling.

The stairs going down is made like swings, which has a unstable appearance. But actually the ropes are made from steel where it is firm and stable. This makes people have a contrast feeling from the frst time seeing the stairs and after stepping on the stairs.





The stairs are also made with uneven hight and angles so that the unstable feeling is further enhanced.








The poles could also be a place to get hold of when going down the stairs. The steps are made out of used wood panels so they won't be wasted, and the unevenness of the stairs could also add details of the word 'weird'.
The stairs are made in a childish colour so it contrasts with the white walls. It also shows the 'family' theme in Piccinini's sculpture.



I used a white colour , where it is inspired from most of her works on the theme of genetic modification. The colour is to show the cleanliness that was inspired from science laboratories.







Another view of the studio.

No comments: